synthetic oil

Synthetic Oil 101: What’s Changed & Should I Convert Over?

What kind of oil do you use? Synthetic oil or conventional? There are a lot of people who still use conventional oil, which is totally fine! However, synthetic oil has really changed throughout the years so you might want to consider switching over. Don’t think so? Let’s talk about what synthetic oil is and how it’s changed over the years.

Synthetic Oil 101: What’s Changed & Should I Convert Over?

What is Synthetic Oil?

When it comes to choosing oil for your vehicle, you have many options out there. We’ve talked about what motor oil does for your car (which you can read here) so today we’ll talk specifically about synthetic oil. Synthetic oil provides the highest levels of lubrication and engine protection. It is known for a much better startup protection, better cleansing quality, enhanced durability, and greater protection against heat buildup. Which of course is important since your car creates a lot of grime while driving. You want a motor oil that can fight through that grime to help your vehicle run better.

Why Synthetic Over Conventional Oil?

Well, mainly because of the reasons listed above. Synthetic oil has been proven to keep your engine running better compared to conventional oils. According to Mobil 1, synthetic oils keep your engine cleaner, offer greater engine protection, flow & protect better in high & low temperatures, and protects your turbocharged parts (if you have them). Now, the downside to synthetic is the expense. You’ll definitely be spending more on the oil itself, but you’ll probably be saving more money down the road.

Why Switch To Synthetic Oil?

First off, not all cars can switch to synthetic oil. Talk to your mechanic first before pouring in a new bottle of synthetic into your car that has been running on conventional. Most cars can be converted over to using full-synthetic so if you’ve been thinking about switching, here’s your calling. According to Pennzoil, “base oil makes up nearly 80% of a motor oil formulation and additives make up the remaining nearly 20%. The chemically engineered molecules in synthetic base oil have more uniform properties while the molecules found in conventional base oil differ in shape and levels of impurity. This shift to a cleaner, higher quality product is becoming the norm in the automotive world with 70% of new cars using synthetic motor oil to help maintain performance.”

Although the actual bottle may be more expensive, due to increased technology and knowledge in this industry, you can now run closer to 15,000 miles before an oil change with some synthetic oils (of course depending on how you drive, where you drive, and how often you drive.) What used to be changing your oil every 5,000 miles now increased to double that if not more…which means you save money in the long run.

Conclusion

All in all, if you can make the switch to synthetic you should. It will help protect your engine more which will help enhance the overall performance of your vehicle. Win, win situation!

If you are still unsure what type of oil to choose from then head over to my article (link here) on choosing the right motor oil for your vehicle for some extra guidance!

Share this Post

Comments 1

  1. Thanks to giving the suitable reason to use synthetic oil in place of conventional oil. The engine could be considered as the heart of the vehicle and lack of lubrication could jeopardize the performance of the engine. So, quality of the engine oil should be inspected at a regular interval and if necessary should be replaced with suitable substitutes to keep the engine in working order. I have a fear towards the use of synthetic oil. However, After reading this article I think my fear of synthetic oil is worthless. Use of synthetic oil in the engine is more beneficial as compared to its conventional counterpart.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *