Hyundai Extended Warranty
Hyundai is known for their long term warranty plans. In addition to their extended warranties, they also offer a new vehicle manufacturer’s warranty that is longer than most new vehicle warranties. For example, their manufacturer’s warranty is for 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. The majority of new vehicle warranties are for only 36,000 miles or 3 years.
Hyundai also offers several levels of extended warranty plans. Those plans include a 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Warranty, 7-Year/Unlimited Miles Anti-Perforation Warranty, 5-Year/Unlimited Miles 24-Hour Roadside Assistance, 12-Month/12,000-Mile Replacement Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty, 7-Year/70,000-Mile California Emission Control Systems Warranty, 8-Year/80,000-Mile Federal Emission Defect and Performance Warranty, and lastly a Lifetime Hybrid Battery Warranty.
What Is A Hyundai Extended Warranty?
A Hyundai Extended Warranty is a warranty that covers more than the manufacturer’s warranty that comes with the purchase of your new vehicle. There are several levels to an extended warranty, which I will go over below. Let me first cover what will come with the purchase of your new vehicle. Then know that an extended warranty will go above and beyond this list, and for a longer amount of time. Here is what you will get according to the Hyundai official website as far as coverage when you purchase a new Hyundai Vehicle:
- Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/36,000 miles—Equus: 5 years/60,000 miles
- Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 16, 5 years/60,000 miles for all models
- Paint: 3 years/36,000 miles
- Battery: for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
- Battery: for MY 16, 3 years/36,000 miles (no proration)
- Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year/unlimited miles
- Adjustments: 1 year/12,000 miles
- Wear items: 1 year/12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, and fuses)
- Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
New vs. Certified Used Warranties
Whether you want to buy a new vehicle or used vehicle, you still will have the option to buy a warranty. A new warranty comes with your newly purchased vehicle. With Hyundai, a new warranty will provide coverage up to 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. New warranties are normally transferrable from one owner to a new owner if the vehicle is sold provided, the vehicle hasn’t gone over 60,000 miles or 5 years. With a certified used warranty, the used vehicle will be inspected first by a Hyundai dealer and then warranties are offered.
New Hyundai Extended Warranties
If you are buying a new Hyundai, you have seven extended warranty options to choose from. Each extended warranty plan has its own benefits. There is an extended warranty plan to fit most budgets and needs, as there are many options to choose from. Remember that the more coverage that the warranty offers, the more you’ll have to pay. Later, we’ll take a look at these extended warranty options in detail. As for now, here is a list of the options available.
- 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Warranty
- 7-Year/Unlimited Miles Anti-Perforation Warranty
- 5-Year/Unlimited Miles 24-Hour Roadside Assistance
- 12-Month/12,000-Mile Replacement Parts And Accessories Limited Warranty
- 7-Year/70,000-Mile California Emission Control Systems Warranty
- 8-Year/80,000-Mile Federal Emission Defect And Performance Warranty
- Lifetime Hybrid Battery Warranty
Certified Used Warranties
If you will be purchasing a certified used Hyundai vehicle, you may be interested in their certified used warranties. A Certifed Pre-Owned (CPO) Vehicle is covered by the remainder of the Hyundai New Vehicle Limited Warranty and any other warranty applicable to the CPO. It will cover all Covered Components for a total of 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the original in-service date and zero miles.
Vehicle Protection Plans
In addition to having an extended warranty, a vehicle protection plan supplements the manufacturer’s warranty, as well as extends it. A vehicle protection plan helps protect you from the high cost of unexpected repair bills. Vehicle protection plans also provide a range of additional benefits and services. If your vehicle breaks down or needs repairs, a vehicle protection plan will help cover the bill.
The Hyundai Protection Plan builds upon Hyundai’s 10-year powertrain warranty. With the protection plan with Hyundai, you will get more protection for mechanical repairs, parts, labor, and Roadside Assistance for up to 10 years or 100,000 miles.
When you add on an extended warranty to your Hyundai Coverage you will experience some added benefits. Some of those benefits are:
- 7 extended plans to choose from to fit your needs and your budget
- You can customize your coverage
- No unexpected big expense surprises when things go wrong because your warranty will cover it
- Plans are transferrable between owners if you sell your vehicle
- Keeps your vehicle running at its finest because you can get things fixed right away instead of waiting until you have the money
- Avoid those costly repairs that can occur especially as your vehicle gets older
- The cost of an extended warranty can be added to your loan financing. You won’t have to pay upfront for extended coverage but instead can make monthly installments.
- Your Hyundai dealer can assist you with filing claims for warranty work and getting repairs completed.
Why Buy An Extended Warranty?
An extended warranty is much like medical or house insurance. It is a safeguard for when unforeseen repairs come up. If you are not a risk-taker, an extended warranty is a great choice. Or maybe you don’t keep enough in an emergency fund to cover unforeseen repairs. Whatever the case, an extended warranty may take the stress away. Even if you never use it, it may make you feel better to not worry what might happen if you need a costly repair. That in itself may make an extended warranty valuable to you. Of course, the main reason to buy one is that it will cover repairs if needed and save you money. Because an extended warranty can be financied into your monthly bill at the time of your vehicle purchase, it makes future repairs affordable.
Things To Consider When Deciding On An Extended Warranty
While adding on an extended warranty may be a wise move to make, there are some things to consider. Those are as follows:
- Your extended warranty may not cover all repairs. Make sure to read the fine print. I’ve covered what each level of a Hyundai extended warranty covers but make sure before you buy one to read the warranty policy in detail. It always makes good practice to read what you are purchasing. It may take a while reading that fine print but it is wise to do so.
- You may never use the extended warranty. Let’s face it, an extended warranty costs money and in the long run, the auto world makes more money off the fact that they sell more extended warranties than it cost to fix those repairs covered by the extended warranty. This doesn’t mean that you won’t benefit from an extended warranty, but on the flip side you may never use it. In that case, it is wasted money. It really is a gamble. Upon researching extended warranties, the statistics varied based on the study, but a lot of people never used their extended warranties.
Levels Of Extended Warranties With Hyundai
There are several levels of extended warranty plans that you can choose from with Hyundai. Let’s take a look at them here below:
10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Warranty
This extended warranty plan covers repair or replacement of powertrain components that are defective in material or factory workmanship under normal use and maintenance. These components must be ones that were originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai Coverage. It is effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles and is for the original owner only. On 1999-2003 model years, the 100,000-mile powertrain warranty applies to the original owner and immediate family members. Second and subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which is the warranty that the vehicle comes with. This will exclude coverage for vehicles in commercial use.
7-Year/Unlimited Miles Anti-Perforation Warranty
The 7-year/unlimited miles anti-perforation warranty covers 7 years/unlimited miles starting with the 2005 model year. It covers perforation corrosion of the original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship under normal use and maintenance. Perforation is when a rust hole goes through the body panel from inside to outside. This warranty excludes surface corrosion.
5-Year/Unlimited Miles 24-Hour Roadside Assistance
If your vehicle happens to need to be repaired while you’re out on the road, having the 5-year/unlimited miles 24-hour roadside assistance can be handy. This means you can call their number whenever your vehicle breaks down as long as you are on a publicly maintained road. Hyundai Roadside Assistance will tow your vehicle to the nearest Hyundai dealership or authorized service facility if your vehicle cannot operate. They’ll tow you even for non-warranty-related tows, such as accidents.
Hyundai will also offer trip interruption assistance. This means that if your vehicle happens to break down more than 150 miles away from home and your car is disabled overnight due to a repair in process, Hyundai Roadside Assistance will pay you for reasonable expenses such as meals, lodging, and transportation. The enhanced roadside assistance is another benefit of getting this 5-year/unlimited miles plan. Whenever you need to call Hyundai Roadside Assistance, you can get help by simply pushing a button on your rearview mirror. The Blue Link Connected Care will find out where you are located, so there is hardly any labor involved on your part. Keep in mind that off-roading is not covered. To receive service the vehicle must be on a publicly maintained road.
12-Month/12,000-Mile Replacement Parts And Accessories Limited Warranty
This extended warranty plan covers repair or replacement of any Hyundai replacement parts or accessories supplied by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship under normal use and maintenance. These replacement parts or accessories must be purchased from an authorized Hyundai dealer, but not installed by an authorized Hyundai dealer. It will be covered for 12-months, or for 12,000-miles, whichever comes first.
7-Year/70,000-Mile California Emission Control Systems Warranty
The 7-Year/70,000-mile California emission control systems warranty applies to vehicles manufactured to California specifications. Vehicles manufactured to California specifications are distributed by Hyundai Motor America and registered in the states of California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington. This extended warranty plan covers repair or replacement of specific original Hyundai emissions components. Specific covered emissions components will vary by model.
8-Year/80,000-Mile Federal Emission Defect And Performance Warranty
This extended warranty plan covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components:
- Catalytic Converter
- Engine Control Module
- Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBD-II)
Lifetime Hybrid Battery Warranty
You won’t have to worry about paying for a new battery for your hybrid vehicle if you have the Lifetime Hybrid Battery Warranty. As the owner of the vehicle, your battery is covered for life. If you sell your vehicle, the new owner is still able to receive a hybrid battery warranty of up to 10 years or 100,000 miles. This lifetime warranty covers the hybrid battery only. It won’t cover any other parts or accessories for your vehicle.
Hyundai is known for having great warranties to choose from. If you purchase a new Hyundai, you will get an attractive manufacturer’s warranty that covers 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. This is a generous manufacturer’s warranty since most new vehicle warranties only cover 36,000 miles or 3 years. Then you have the extended warranties to choose from which is what I covered in detail. There are 7 main extended warranties to choose from. The levels vary from 100,000 miles and 10 years down to a Lifetime Hybrid Battery Warranty. Which one you choose is going to be up to your needs and your budget. Make sure to think about your future with the vehicle you have purchased before buying an extended warranty. For example, don’t purchase the 100,000/10 year warranty if you don’t drive much and/or if you don’t see yourself driving a 10-year-old vehicle. I hope that this review helped you to understand and choose from the Hyundai extended warranties.